sign language parsing

G Sapountzaki Galini.Sapountzaki at BRISTOL.AC.UK
Fri Oct 31 21:05:04 UTC 2003

Quoting Dan Parvaz <dparvaz at UNM.EDU>:

> Are you referring to simply parsing a signed language, or are you
> talking about Machine Translation (in which syntactic parsing is
> often
> a step)?
Yes,thank you Dan! I mean Machine Translation.
And what do you mean by "written text?" What is the
> original form which would be "parsed?" HamNoSys? Papaspyrou's
orthography? A
> video signal? Glosses? And what kinds of input are required for the
> signing avatar?

The input will be written typed text and the output will be signed
animated video on screen. The project is a joint effort between 3D
animation video experts and linguists. At this first point we aim to
parse very simple sentences in GSL, still retaining as many as possible
of the phonological characteristics of GSL,not only manual signs.

How much of the phonological/phonotactics
> (kinematics,
> etc.) need to be pre-processed?
>
> I have other questions, but this is a good kick-off point. I suspect
> there are a few of us here who can handle one or more of those
> pieces

I have contacted one person who has had some practical experience on a
similar project so far, and I would really appreciate any additional
information on specific difficulties and pitfalls of such an attempt.
The rest of the team in our project have a strong background in their
own areas but, as the only sign linguist in the project, I suspect the
goals might be too ambitious...

Thanks for all comments,
Galini