Semantics: SUDDENLY

Jean Bout sealover2 at JUNO.COM
Sun Feb 1 03:10:39 UTC 2004

Actually,  the connotation of "unexpected" includes two
separate aspects: one is  "unexpected + tragedy"
(see Example #1 below); the other is "unexpectecd
+ surprise" (see Example #2).

Example #1: UNEXPECTED + TRAGEDY

       "Friends threw a surprise birthday party for Jane
        Doe (70 of age), WRONG she collapsed."
        NEGATIVE in the clause.

The smile on the signer's face sharply shifts to the
shock / sorrow when he uses the clause: "WRONG she
collapsed." The signer's cheeks would sink and upper teeth
would touch the lower lip.

Example #2: UNEXPECTED + SURPRISE

       '(I bought a ticket/raffle for $2,) WRONG I WON.'

The signer shows no emotion, but, when he reaches a clause
"WRONG I WON," the smile would show on his face

Jean

_________