Florida: Calling All Deaf Advocates!

Kathy H. kaylynnkathy at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 23 18:12:16 UTC 2004

Here is a comment from someone I contacted who is retired from UCF faculty
(engineering dept, I believe).

"I must be mistaken for I thought that UCF has accepted ASL as a foreign
language.  Anyway, I have printed out your message, and will see that it
gets in the hands of our signers at church on Sunday."

While I can't go to the meeting (because I'm in another state!), the word is
spreading at least in the Orlando community.  Perhaps someone at my
acquaintance's church will attend the meeting.  (I didn't know there were
signers at his church!)

His comment, though, raises another question relative to this thread on the
list.  Is ASL accepted as a foreign language at UCF but NOT accepted as part
of a graduation requirement?  Is that the issue at hand here?

Kathy Hansen
Purdue doctoral student