pregnancy-related vocabulary

Christopher Miller miller.christopher at UQAM.CA
Sat Jan 17 01:32:53 UTC 2004

A student at Charles University in Prague is working on a CD dictionary
of pregnancy-related vocabulary and has asked me if anything of the
sort exists for ASL or other languages.

The only source I know of personally is James Woodward's _Signs of
sexual behavior_, which contains a number of items related to pregnancy
in ASL. I picked the following plausible references of the Hamburg
'International Bibliography of Sign Language' on the web
(http://www.sign-lang.uni-hamburg.de/bibweb/F-Keywords.html) under the
"sexuality" keyword: does anyone know of any other possibilities I
could suggest to her?

        •     Woodward, James: Signs of sexual behaviour. Silver Spring : T.J.
Publishers 1979 - 80 p.: Paperback
        •     Woodward, James: Signs of sexual behavior. An introduction to some
sex-related vocabulary in American Sign Language. Silver Spring : T.J.
Publishers 1985 (Video 30min)
        •     Minkin, Marlyn / Rosen-Ritt, Laurie: Signs for sexuality. A
resource manual for deaf and hard of hearing individuals, their
families, and professionals. Seattle, Washington : Planned Parenthood
of S.K. Cty. 1991 - 201 p.
        •     Thema's rondom puberteit. Haren : Inst. voor Doven "H.D. Guyot"
1995 (Video 81min)
        •     Sexualiteit gebarenlexicon. Voorburg : Chr. Inst. voor Doven
"Effatha" 1994 (Video)
        •     Gebarenlexicon Thema: Sexualiteit. Voorburg : Chr. Inst. voor Doven
"Effatha" 1994 - 43 p.
        •     Sjöberg, Malena / Olausson, Sven: Tjejer och killar. En video om
samlevnad. Del 1. Örebro : SIH Läromedel 1987 (Video 40min)
        •     Sjöberg, Malena / Olausson, Sven: Tjejer och killar. En video om
samlevnad. Del 2. Örebro : SIH Läromedel 1987 (Video 33min)
        •     Sjöberg, Malena: Tjejer och killar. En bok om samlevnad. Örebro :
SIH Läromedel 1990 - 40 p.: Best nr: 1078
        •     Brozik, Josef: Lékar radi zenám a divkám. 1995 - 22 p.

Thanks,

Chris Miller