Semantics: SUDDENLY

James MacFarlane jmacfarl at UNM.EDU
Fri Jan 30 16:04:35 UTC 2004

When I looked at the current uses of this sign I found that signers
used it to signal both 'wrong' in the traditional sense and as a
conjunction which signals that what is about to come is "unexpected."
I believe it may have been Humphries and Padden who first wrote about
this.

However, I did not find data which suggested that when used as a
conjunction it included some negative meaning.  Rather, (like Theresa
Smith said) it just signals that the clause that comes  next was
unexpected.  That unexpected event can be negative or positive,
however.

What was interesting to me was that there are two different forms of
the sign.  One with a single movement toward the chin and another with
a twisting movement on the chin.  The data that I examined showed that
when used as a conjunction, there was a slight preference for the
twisted version, but there was no general pattern that emerged.

Here is the reference for that paper:

MacFarlane, J. (1998)  The grammaticization of WRONG in American Sign
Language.   Proceedings of the First Annual High Desert Linguistics
Society Conference, (Eds.) Catie Berkenfield, Dawn Nordquist, and Angus
Grieve-Smith. 1998. Albuquerque, New Mexico: HDLS. 17-23.

James MacFarlane
Instructor: Gallaudet University
Doctoral Candidate: University of New Mexico

Office Address:
Gallaudet University
Department of Linguistics
800 Florida Ave NE