deaf children from non-English-speaking families learning English

Fri Jan 30 17:46:12 UTC 2004

This is from the LINGUIST List,
  http://linguistlist.org/issues/15/15-331.html
Please do not reply to me.

   Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 10:29:09 -0500 (EST)
   From: June Yang <joyeux_26 at pacific.net.sg>
   Subject: Deaf Child fr Minority Language Family

Hi,

I am June from Singapore and currently a research student in the
National University of Singapore (NUS). My research in on the language
learning situation of deaf children from non-English speaking
families.

In Singapore, the sign system used to teach the Deaf is Signing Exact
English (SEE II), which is based on the English language. My informant
will be a deaf child from a family speaking Mandarin and Chinese
dialects, instead of English.

I am interested in finding out how the learning of English by the deaf
child is affected by his family linguistic background and sequential
acquisition of SEE II (after Home Signs), as well as the problems the
child faces.

I have been unsuccessful in my attempts to locate published materials
on the subject matter in Singapore due to a lack sign language studies
journals.

It would be great if anybody had any research articles to share or
sources which you could point me to in locating the articles. Thanks!
My email address is joyeux_26 at pacific.net.sg