Creating a corpus

Ulrike Zeshan Ulrike.Zeshan at MPI.NL
Tue Jun 1 05:41:44 UTC 2004

Hi Adam,

I tried a task in Turkey where two participants are involved in a guessing
game. One participant has to think of a particular person and the other
one has to find out who it is by asking any questions they want. Once the
participants understand the game, this can work very well to elicit both
content and polar questions. The game is well known in Germany and was
also tried for DGS some time ago, but I think no results were published.
In Turkey, the game was not known to my informants, but it worked very
well once they got the hang of it. It obviously results in a lot of third
person questions, second person questions are rare.

Ulrike