ASL initialized RED

Nassira Nicola maeveenroute at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Jun 30 02:20:57 UTC 2004

This is going to look a lot like what other people have been saying, but
consider this a few more votes for a Signed English provenance...

I'm at a teacher-training program right now, and this very sign came up as
an example of an initialized sign that probably won't gain widespread
acceptance.  There were about 15 Deaf native signers (and a few CODAs) from
all over the country in the room, and the reaction to initialized RED was
unanimous and unmitigated horror.

Combine that with what other people on the list (hi, Sarah!) have said, and
I think it's a pretty safe bet that it's Signed English and Signed English
only.  :c)

Nassira Nicola

Harvard University
Linguistics '05