Betreff: Quotatives

Alysse Rasmussen AlysseR at AOL.COM
Tue Mar 9 18:18:38 UTC 2004

Can you give one or two ASL examples to help us put it all together?

PS Thanks for your support at UCF.  :)

Alysse

In a message dated 3/9/2004 11:29:21 AM Eastern Standard Time,
dparvaz at MAC.COM writes:
Quotatives introduce speech and actions that appear to be direct quotations
or demonstrated actions, and attribute them to the subject. And example in
English is

(1) And he's all, "La, la, la.." (looking around not paying attention)
(2) And mom's all, "Are you wearing that?"

So the action exmplified by humming and not paying attention are attributed
to "he". The "you" in (2) actually refers to the speaker. A German example
would be

(3) Und ich so: Mensch! Wie kannst du sowas sagen?

So the "du" doesn't refer to the adressee in the immediate context, but to
someone in the narrated event. A final example is Sanskrit "iti" which can be
used to introduce literal quotations, but can also be used to discuss states of
mind, intention, etc. in something analogous to "I'm going to Grandma's house
ITI she went into the forest." Note that in none of these cases can one infer
that anyone actually *said* anything.

I'd like to think that ASL (and SLs in general) has a very rich set of these..

Cheers,

Dan.

Hi, Dan,
what do you mean with "quotatives"? Give an example.
Thanks,
Daniela

-------Original-Meldung-------