Betreff: Quotatives

Patty Lessard plessard57 at EARTHLINK.NET
Wed Mar 10 15:47:25 UTC 2004

Hi Dan

I think you might want to talk with David Quinto Pozos.  He is doing some fantastic work with constructed action.  He is doing some research on that and the use of classifiers.  I have CC'd him on this message.

Have you read the article by Miller and Poulin in Language Gesture and Space?  Liddell's article is more recent, but this is an example in another SL.  There also is the article by Aarons and Morgan from SLS Vol 3 No 2 Winter 2003.

Patty
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Dan Parvaz
  To: SLLING-L at ADMIN.HUMBERC.ON.CA
  Sent: Tuesday, March 09, 2004 8:12 AM
  Subject: Re: Betreff: Quotatives

  Quotatives introduce speech and actions that appear to be direct quotations or demonstrated actions, and attribute them to the subject. And example in English is

  (1) And he's all, "La, la, la.." (looking around not paying attention)
  (2) And mom's all, "Are you wearing that?"

  So the action exmplified by humming and not paying attention are attributed to "he". The "you" in (2) actually refers to the speaker. A German example would be

  (3) Und ich so: Mensch! Wie kannst du sowas sagen?

  So the "du" doesn't refer to the adressee in the immediate context, but to someone in the narrated event. A final example is Sanskrit "iti" which can be used to introduce literal quotations, but can also be used to discuss states of mind, intention, etc. in something analogous to "I'm going to Grandma's house ITI she went into the forest." Note that in none of these cases can one infer that anyone actually *said* anything.

  I'd like to think that ASL (and SLs in general) has a very rich set of these.

  Cheers,

  Dan.

        Hi, Dan,
        what do you mean with "quotatives"? Give an example.
        Thanks,
        Daniela

        -------Original-Meldung-------