nondominant handshapes

petra.n.eccarius.1 eccarius at PURDUE.EDU
Sat Mar 20 23:01:34 UTC 2004

Hello list members,

I am looking at 2-handed signs cross-linguistically for a paper I'm
working on, and I've come up with a couple of questions:

1) For those of you working on sign languages other than ASL:

do any of you have sources (or information) regarding the possible
nondominant (passive) hands of Battison's type 3 signs (different
handshapes, one active, one passive) in your sign languages?  (I am
especially interested in languages that allow nondominant handshapes other
than the basic seven Battison names (B A S C O 1 5).)

2) For those of you who work on or use ASL:

can any of you think of examples of type 3 signs with nondominant
handshapes other than those basic seven?  I have seen variants of BERRY
(or was it CHERRY?) with an extended pinky (I) on the nondominant hand
instead of a 1, and I know that there is an older form of FINAL that
I've seen used from time to time which uses an I with a 1 on the dominant
hand.  Can any of you think of more examples? (I know they are rare!)

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.  Feel free to respond
to me personally (eccarius at purdue.edu) or answer the list if you think it
would be of interest to everyone.

All the best,

Petra Eccarius