nondominant handshapes

Ingvild Roald ingvild.roald at STATPED.NO
Wed Mar 24 15:38:01 UTC 2004

"For the discussion of linguistics and signed languages."
<SLLING-L at ADMIN.HUMBERC.ON.CA> skriver:
>> From the non-linguist in Norway again: There are a number of signs, some
>> of wich are well-established, that uses the L handshape for the
>> non-dominat hand. They are AUDIOGRAM, STATISTICS,  and several more
>> mathematical and special signs.
>
>How many of these signs were coined by native signers? I don't know the
>situation in Norway, but there are many signs used in the US that deviate
>significantly from natively-coined signs.
>
>-Dan.

What I know is that at least the AUDIOGRAM sign was well established when
signing was still not used in education, that is, not even as total
communication. STATISTICS may have been coined by the 'Correct Norwegian
Sign Language' committee of the Norwegian Deaf Association in the early
1970s. The others may have been coined by non-native signers in an
educational setting.

Ingvild