nondominant handshapes

Dan Parvaz dparvaz at MAC.COM
Sun Mar 28 23:54:24 UTC 2004

>What makes this from non-native?

The native signers I know -- particularly those from multi-generational Deaf families -- felt that the e-mail sign looked like it was invented by either an interpreter or some other non-native signer. A fingerspelled borrowing #EMAIL was preferred. I have seen limited evidence of any agreement morphology (such as a possible ?you-#EMAIL-me) being used; instead, constructions like...

____t_
#EMAIL you-SEND-LETTER-TO-me

.... seem to be preferred [1].

Cheers,

Dan.

[1] x-SEND-LETTER-TO-y is a closed fist "spritzing" to 5 handshape, flattened and bent at the knuckles while hand moves along a short arc from x to y. Palm faces y throughout.