nondominant handshapes

Rachel Channon rchannon at SPEAKEASY.NET
Mon Mar 29 18:30:20 UTC 2004

Hi Mark, do you have a copy of this paper? It sounds rather similar to what
I am proposing, and if so, it would be nice to cite you properly.  Rachel

-----Original Message-----
From: For the discussion of linguistics and signed languages.
[mailto:SLLING-L at ADMIN.HUMBERC.ON.CA] On Behalf Of Mark A. Mandel
Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 10:41 PM
To: SLLING-L at ADMIN.HUMBERC.ON.CA
Subject: Re: nondominant handshapes

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, Christopher Miller wrote:

#Here are a couple of exceptional non-dominant passive handshapes I can
#think of in ASL: # #CHOOSE with a /V/ handshape; BE-ABSENT/SKIP-CLASS with
an open /8/ # #Neither of these seems to behave as a distinct morpheme at
least #synchronically.

I remember noticing at least SKIP-CLASS in grad school.

Which recalls to me that I wrote a paper back then in which I tried to
create an analysis of Battison Type 3 signs* in which the nondominant
handshape was not completely specified, but rather resulted from other
specifications, mostly Region of Contact and maybe one or two very basic
handshape features. In that analysis, SKIP-CLASS would have had the
nondominant specifications
        Handshape: +open
        ROC: fingertip
 which together with the movement and orientation specs would have
effectively generated open-8 as an allophone of 5.

-- Mark A. Mandel