Signs for "phonetics" and "phonology" (fwd)

Listserv Administrator listman at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Aug 17 19:46:48 UTC 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 13:17:07 -0400
From: Kathy H. <kaylynnkathy at hotmail.com>
To: slling-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
Subject: [Slling-l] Signs for "phonetics" and "phonology"

----
Dear All,

Earlier this summer (for those of us in the Northern Hemisphere), I had asked
for different versions of how “phonetics” and “phonology” were signed.  Here is
a summary of the responses.  Please note that some descriptions contain the
original wording of the contributor, some have been modified to fit the format
below, and some are my own descriptions based on video clips or notations.

PHONETICS

#1 “phonetics”
index finger, other fingers extended and spread, palm facing basically
contralaterally; passive hand shows the index finger extended and pointing
somewhat laterally (more than forward), palm basically facing contralaterally;
the tips of the active thumb and index finger begin with contact with the tip
of the passive index finger; active hand moves slightly ipsilaterally away from
the passive finger tip, then in a downward path while simultaneously rotating
the forearm (or shaking ipsilaterally-contralaterally as it moves downward; I
might have been provided with two versions)

Comment:  “The image that is evoked:  all the detailed stuff below phonology
level.”
Contributor:  Onno Crasborn (Sign Language of the Netherlands)

#2 “phonetics”
downward; active hand below passive hand; active hand bends upward at wrist,
tapping the dorsal (back) side of the active hand against the palmar side of
the fingers of the passive hand; tapping occurs three times in the video.

Contributor:  Nassira Nicola (Quebec Sign Language)
Internet Site:  http:  //www.unites.uqam.ca/surdite/HTML/sallede.htm

#3 “phonetics”
notation of phones:  square brackets.

Comment:  Based on the written notation for phones, which are placed between
square brackets.
Contributor:  Dan Parvaz (American Sign Language)

#4 “phonetics”
Description/Comment:  Use “fingerspelled loan signs, which is a perfectly
legitimate ASL device for coining terms”

Contributor:  Dan Parvaz (American Sign Language)

#5 “phonetics”
with the long finger palm down

Comment:  “The way I think about this is that phonetics deals with the
articulatory system (which for vocal languages is at the throat).”  (sign
acquired from Clayton Valli video)
Contributor:  Mark Moosman

Reference:  Valli, Clayton, Ceil Lucas, and Kristin J. Mulrooney. Linguistics
of American Sign Language, Fourth Edition. Washington, DC:  Gallaudet UP,
2006(?).  ISBN 1-56368-283-4, 7 x 10 casebound, 560 pages, illustrations,
photographs, notes, references, index, DVD.

Internet Site:  http:  //gupress.gallaudet.edu/bookpage/LASL4bookpage.html
Reference Contributor:  Tom Flynn

PHONOLOGY

#1 “phonology”
(passive hand)
Comment:  “the same sign 'phonology' is used as in Korea”  [Kathy’s comment:
It turns out that the Korean version was imported from Europe.]

Contributor:  Onno Crasborn (Sign Language of the Netherlands)

#2 “phonology”
from base joint; middle finger bent at base joint, straight at other joints;
presumably the thumb crosses the index finger but I [Kathy] cannot see this for
sure in the video); passive hand extended sagittally (forward) with index
finger extended (pointing forward, basically), palm facing
contralaterally-downward; palmar side of pad of middle finger of active hand
taps radial side of passive index finger, first near the base joint, then in
the middle of the finger, then near the tip of the finger; while both hands
also move ipsilaterally (ending in the midsagittal region); tapping occurs

#3 “phonology”
Description/Comment:  The ASL letter “p” moves in such a way as to visually
capture the notation for phoneme:  forward slashes.

Contributor:  Dan Parvaz (American Sign Language)

#4 “phonology”

#5 “phonology”
passive hand points forward, its palm facing contralaterally, fingers extended
unspread; active hand makes a circle and ends with contact on the passive hand
(tip of middle finger makes that contact)

Contributor:  Valerie Sutton (American Sign Language)
Internet Site:  http:  //www.SignBank.org/signpuddle
     click on the American flag
     click on the American dictionary
     click on Search by Words
     Search for Phonology
     Press the Search button

#7 “phonology”
with the long finger palm down

Comment:  “Phonology deals with the knowledge of interacting with the phonetic
elements which is in the head.”  (acquired from Clayton Valli video)
Contributor:  Mark Moosman

Reference:  Valli, Clayton, Ceil Lucas, and Kristin J. Mulrooney. Linguistics
of American Sign Language, Fourth Edition. Washington, DC:  Gallaudet UP,
2006(?).  ISBN 1-56368-283-4, 7 x 10 casebound, 560 pages, illustrations,
photographs, notes, references, index, DVD.

Internet Site:  http:  //gupress.gallaudet.edu/bookpage/LASL4bookpage.html
Reference Contributor:  Tom Flynn

As far as what we ended up using at SIL-UND, the jury is still out.  Some
signers switched over to "phonetics" version #1, above, while a few others
(mostly hearing people) continued with an invented version (that I’d rather not
share because it doesn’t seem to fit the phonotactics of the language).

We appreciate all of your responses.  Thank you!
Kathy