Does majordomo have amnesia?

Mark A. Mandel mamandel at ldc.upenn.edu
Mon Dec 3 17:07:59 UTC 2007

Something has slipped. I posted a new message on the subject of stuttering,
and I got this back in reply:

 Majordomo recently experienced a catastrophic failure, resulting in the
loss of the list membership.  Please help to re-create the list by
re-subscribing at http://majordomo.valenciacc.edu/mailman/listinfo

Sorry for the inconvenience, but we need your help to rebuild our vibrant
discussion lists.

If you know of any other members on the list, please pass this along.
 <<<<<

I sighed "Oh no, not again!", went to the web address, and resubscribed.
That brought this immediate answer:

 An attempt was made to subscribe your address to the mailing list
slling-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu.  You are already subscribed to this
mailing list.

Note that the list membership is not public, so it is possible that a bad
person was trying to probe the list for its membership.  This would be a
privacy violation if we let them do this, but we didn't.

If you submitted the subscription request and forgot that you were already
subscribed to the list, then you can ignore this message.  If you suspect
that an attempt is being made to covertly discover whether you are a member
of this list, and you are worried about your privacy, then feel free to send
a message to the list administrator at
slling-l-owner at majordomo.valenciacc.edu.
 <<<<<

What's going on here?

-- Mark A. Mandel
[This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]