classifiers and the brain

dcogill at une.edu.au dcogill at une.edu.au
Mon Nov 5 10:25:41 UTC 2007

Hi Petra,

I don't know how comprehensively you want to cover the literature here,
but the obvious place to start is Karen Emmorey's  (2002) book, Language,
Cognition and the Brain: Insights from Sign Language Research, published
by Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Mahwah, New Jersey; this has a section
dedicated to your topic here.

There have been quite a number of new studies since then, however, as Adam
flags in his post. These include studies not only of clinical results and
brain imaging, but now too of signed classifier acquisition/ use under
cognitive deficits of specific kinds — so there are now three lines of
research underway in exploring the way classifiers are processed in the
brain.  Most recently there's been another come out this year in Lingua;
Morgan, G., Smith, N., Tsimpli, I.M. & Woll, B. (2007). Classifier
learning and modality in a polyglot savant. Lingua, 117, 7, 1339-1353. It
should give you a good entree to tracking down the post-2002 stuff.

I have an old paper (2002) that also summarises most of the brain stuff to
that date, and a new chapter in prep that integrates everything written on
classifiers in the brain since approximately the time of Plato (save for
the latest from Morgan et al). If your interest exceeds the merely
serious, to border on the fanatical (:-))  I can zap you those as well.

Regards,

Dorothea.