Importance of SL phonemes

Dan Parvaz dparvaz at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 05:31:57 UTC 2007

Agreed. And there are some well-established theories/formalisms of
iconity, both within semiotics and linguistics (cognitive grammar,
blended spaces thoery,  etc.), as well as some new ones which are
coming down the pike. I look forward to see a theory which accounts
for the data on a detailed level.

<disclaimer>
The next paragraph is not addressing you, Sonja -- you know better :-)
-- but it is about a trend I'm noticing in the general discourse.
</disclaimer>

While I agree that the older plan of showing how signed languages are
comparable to spoken languages resulted in some misapplication of
formalisms, epithets like "spoken-language model" are sometimes used
to dismiss models without addressing the underlying issues. There are
plenty of reasons of doing so; not many of them are good ones. Just a
thing I've been noticing...

-Dan.