SV: SV: [SLLING-L] use of sign language in Jordan

Sonja Erlenkamp sonja.erlenkamp at hist.no
Tue Oct 2 15:57:10 UTC 2007

Ok, I'll try to give a short answer for now (both due to time constrains on my side and the wish to not loose all readers of this discussion).

1. I agree that iconicity is a mental process. Nevertheless are there a structural markers to trigger it. You mentioned that there is "something" you see. This something is very often eye gaze in the signed languages I have seen and analyzed and some other markers, some of them probably different from signed language to another (I have found some markers for Norwegian Sign Language for triggering "real space blend entities". )

2. I don't agree on the part that iconicity is only "etymological" and that it can be "re-perceived" as depicting. I think that signed languages make use of two differend (cognitive) processes/mechanisms. On the one hand we have iconicity as part of the creation process of signs. Many of these signs develop after a while - through entrechment - a fixed semantic - that's where we agree. Although these signs still might have some kind of transparent iconic look (not all of them have) the iconicity does not play any role in the meaning construction in a signed text or the decoding of the meaning of the particular sign and why not use the phonemes concept on them? I have no problems with that.

In addition I think (that is where we disagree), that we also have signs and signed construction that need their iconic potential to trigger real space blend entities in order to construct meaning. They are not "re-preceived" as depiciting signs, they are actually different signs which are depicting to begin with.

3. Both mechanisms described above go hand in hand in a signed language and make it a visually efficient communication system. And if you take a look at the behaviour of for example mouthing, sign-modifications and  word order you'll see that it follows the two different mechanisms. And I don't think either of these mechanisms is going to disappear in the future, because they are the pillars of visual communication.
And that is why I think the phoneme-system model is not sufficient. It is not entirely wrong, but it leaves us with descriptions of signs within one of these mechanisms, but gives no answer to the other. I am not against using phonemes for spoken or signed languages (actually I studied spoken language phonology and I loved it!), but I think we need a wider perspective to cover everything that is going in signed language communication.

All the best

Sonja Erlenkamp