Research on Signed/Spoken Language Code switching

Lorraine Leeson leesonl at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 11:35:13 UTC 2007

But why do the acronyms need to be transparent?? This doesn't seem to
be a necessary condition of naming!

Lorraine

On 04/09/07, Mark A. Mandel <mamandel at ldc.upenn.edu> wrote:
> The trouble with abbreviations derived from the spoken language of the
> country where the SL is used is that they are opaque outside of that country
> or spoken language. BII, NGT, LSF... They have little or no mnemonic value.
>
> I don't see that it's necessary to stick with purely initial three-letter
> abbreviations just because three letters were enough to distinguish the
> first few SLs that were scientifically studied: ASL, BSL (both from
> English-speaking countries), FSL, and OFSL (abbreviated in English by the
> English-speaking linguists).
>
> What would be so bad about IndSL, IndonSL, IrSL, IsrSL, and so on?
>
> m a m

Dr. Lorraine Leeson
Director
Centre for Deaf Studies
School of Linguistics, Speech and Communication Sciences
University of Dublin, Trinity College
40 Lower Drumcondra Road
Drumcondra, Dublin 9

Tel: 01 830 11 66