Research on Signed/Spoken Language Code switching

Soya MORI soya_mori at ide.go.jp
Wed Sep 5 06:48:51 UTC 2007

 Hello, Susan.

 Thank you for your mention about our Sign Language.

>I've been referring to it as NS, for NihonSyuwa, following the
>request of a deaf Japanese linguist.

 I would like to add some opinions from my colleagues.

 The acronym of 'NS' is not so welcomed in our JSL linguist society in
Japan. Most of us use 'JSL' for the acronym of Japanese Sign Language.
Of course, in Japan, we call our sign language as 'Nihon-Shuwa', 日本手
話. However, plese remember we have different acronym rules in Japanese
Language and the 'NS' does not follow our rules. So the 'NS' looks very
strange for most Japanese People and we do not use it.

Soya MORI
President of Japanese Association of Sign Linguistics
Institute of Developing Economies, JETRO
Inter-disciplinary Studies Center
Poverty Alleviation and Social Development Studies Group
Deputy Director & Professor (IDEAS)
Senior Research Fellow
MORI, Soya
3-2-2, Wakaba, Mihama-ku, Chiba-shi,261-8545
Chiba, Japan
E-mail: soya_mori at ide.go.jp
Homepage: http://www.ide.go.jp/
Fax: 043-299-9548