SL and other codes

Isabelle Heyerick isabelle.heyerick at fevlado.be
Thu Sep 6 11:33:27 UTC 2007

I can affirm that it is "not just an ASL thing". In the Flemish Sign Language (VGT) and her community the same thing occurs.

However we do notice a gap between the young Deaf and the elderly Deaf. And what it all comes down to is the increased mobility our society, and of course also the Deaf community, has gained. Especially in Flanders we are experiencing a wave of international contacts. Our young adults leave their home country to go and broaden their visions abroad, bringing back the autochthonous signs for those countries and cities. It is also generally accepted that those signs are the correct ones. It is viewed as a form of respect.

However, the elderly Deaf and the interpreters are receiving these signs either very slowly or not at all. So some members of the community are still using the signs given by the outsiders.

It is an interesting topic!

Kind regards,

Isabelle Heyerick