SL and other codes

Albert Bickford albert_bickford at sil.org
Thu Sep 6 17:44:30 UTC 2007

In ASL, I've seen modification of at least one sign for another country as it was incorporated in ASL.  The sign for Mexico in Mexican Sign Language (you can see a drawing at http://www.sil.org/mexico/lenguajes-de-signos/00i-signed-languages.htm) consists of a V handshape, fingers pointing contralaterally, palm down, starting above the bridge of the nose near the forehead, and moving forward in an arc once, with some pronation during the arc.  (The folk etymology is the shape of the brim of a Mexican sombrero.)  When used in ASL (happens fairly often here in Arizona), it is often pronounced with two short movements rather than one longer one.  I'm not sure why this is--many name signs for people have a double movement in them, but that is less common for names of places.  The change doesn't seem to be forced by the phonological system--as far as I know there is no constraint in ASL that would forbid one single longer movement.

Albert