An avator doing bfi

Dan Parvaz dparvaz at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 20:40:13 UTC 2007

Sigh. Everytime some student on their Amazing Journey Of Self-Discovery<tm>
"reinvents" a piece of deaf-related technology (datagloves for reading
fingerspelling, signing avatars, etc.), some ignorant journalist is ready to
hail it as a breakthrough.

This was put together in a few months by a student intern. As far as I can
tell (those knowing BSL please look at the video and correct me if I'm
wrong), this is yet another relatively straightforward marriage of speech
recognition and 3D animation. There's no indication that space, classifiers,
etc. which would be part of a natural SL are being used here. As it stands,
it's less useful than commercially available speech-to-text systems
(DragonDictate, Via Voice, etc.)

Don't surplus your interpreters just yet :-)

Cheers,

-Dan