An avator doing bfi

Susan AtLee Walker sawalker at 3n.net
Tue Sep 18 01:47:56 UTC 2007

On Sep 17, 2007, at 12:00 PM, GerardM wrote:

> ...Typically deaf people know how to read the prevailing written
> language.

I don't think I would agree with this.  If a SL is a person's
first language, there is no guarantee that they will typically read
the prevailing written language.  Especially since many education
programs for Deaf children attempt to teach the prevailing
written language as a FIRST language when it should be taught as
a SECOND language!

Sorry if I'm off topic, but that statement doesn't ring true for
me...

Susan