re signing avatars

Sara Morrissey sara.morrissey2 at mail.dcu.ie
Tue Sep 18 08:09:28 UTC 2007

>we still don't have the basic necessary and sufficient conditions for sign
recognition (à la the Haskins and Bell Labs research in the 1940s and
1950s).

For anyone who's interested, Philippe Dreuw at RWTH Aachen University,
Aachen, Germany, is working on gesture recognition and I have done some
collaborative work with him for translating in the direction of SLs
(American and Irish) to Engllish. The results from the ASL data so far have
been somewhat promising, although of course there is still a lot of progress
for it to be made usable in the mainstream. Machine translation is my area,
not recognition, so I'm not in a position to describe this much further but
you can find some more information in the paper "Hand in Hand: Automatic
Sign Language to English Translation" in the Proceedings of Theoretical and
Methodological Issues in Machine Translation (TMI-07).

Sara

On 17/09/2007, Fischer Susan <susan.fischer at rit.edu> wrote:

>  There's a group at NTT (the national phone and post office!)in Japan
> working on "translating" in both directions between spoken or written
> Japanese and what they are calling Japanese sign Language.  It's really more
> transliterating to or from signed Japanese.  When I observed a demonstration
> a few years ago, the generation of the signing avatar was pretty impressive;
> recognition was not, and it's a much more difficult task, not only because
> of the corpus problem but because we still don't have the basic necessary
> and sufficient conditions for sign recognition (à la the Haskins and Bell
> Labs research in the 1940s and 1950s).  I think some patience is in order;
> it took about 50 years from the time speech recognition was envisaged until
> the time it was accurate enough to be practically useful (e.g., Dragon
> Naturally Speaking).  Computer scientists often drastically underestimate
> the difficulty of determining constancy in the signal.
>

> Susan Fischer
> Susan.Fischer at rit.edu
>

> Center for Research on Language
> UCSD

Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.