Sign language corpora

Trevor Johnston trevor.a.johnston at bigpond.com
Tue Sep 18 11:07:20 UTC 2007

Yes, we have two corpora in Australia. One is a corpus from a project by
Adam Schembri and myself to study sociolinguistic variation (modelled on the
approach taken by Ceil Lucas and colleagues for ASL). The second, is a
corpus project as explained by Adam Schembri in his last posting (other
details can be gleaned from the website mentioned by Inge Zwitserlood:
http://www.let.kun.nl/sign-lang/corpusngt/scientific/index.html). The second
corpus was collected between 2004 and 2006 and will be deposited with the
Endangered Languages Documentation Program, SOAS, University of London, as
part of their endangered languages archive at the end of this year or very
early next. Full details of the project will be available on the Auslan
Signbank site, which is currently being updated and migrated to a new host,
at the time it is deposited.

The corpus will consist of over 100 hours of digital movies, and associated
ELAN annotation files. Annotators have been working on the corpus already
for two years (and will for the next 10!). The archive is intended to be
internet accessible (but there will be an initial period of restricted
access).

I¹d like to add a word of caution: a corpus is not just a collection of
videos (digital or otherwise). There is a lot more to it than that. If it is
not machine readable in some way (hence ELAN) it is not a corpus in the
sense meant by linguists today and simply making recordings, without
annotations, would not advance empirical signed language research greatly.

Trevor

--
A/Prof. Trevor Johnston, DLitt, PhD, BA | Signed Languages & Linguistics
Department of Linguistics, C5A 526