re signing avatars

Christian Vogler Christian.Vogler at gallaudet.edu
Wed Sep 19 07:00:32 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 18 September 2007 17:41:28 Dan Parvaz wrote:
> I'll go dig that up, but in the meantime, what does "somewhat promising"
> mean? Nearly all the recognition material I've seen so far has been on the
> order of < 100 isolated signs (often less than half that), and so far has
> been resistant to scaling.

Current work does much better than that. Continuous recognition has been
around since 1996, and some Chinese research groups have extended the
vocabulary to more than 1,000 signs. However, even this work still basically
views signs as a string of gestures, without inflection or other grammatical
processes, so there still remains much work to be done.

Facial expression tracking and recognition (which is my current research area)
is also a thorny issue.

Let me know if you would like me to dig up some references.

Best regards
- Christian
--
Christian Vogler, Ph.D.