Dissertation Posted, Statistical Studies, Saudi Arabia and Jordan

Bernadet Hendriks bernie_hendriks at swissmail.org
Tue Sep 25 07:41:22 UTC 2007

hmmmm,

I don't want to say sign writing is not useful, but I doubt that the results of these studies are thanks to sign writing only. Knowing that the al-Amal schools in Jordan do not normally use sign language, it seems to me that the fact that students using sign writing produce better results is mainly due to the fact that they finally get taught in their own language, whereas the control group probably got taught orally or at most in some ad hoc form of signed Arabic.
It does prove that using sign language in Deaf education is beneficial....I just wish all the schools in Jordan would come to this conclusion.

Bernadet Hendriks