Dissertation Posted, Statistical Studies, Saudi Arabia and Jordan

Bernadet Hendriks bernie_hendriks at swissmail.org
Tue Sep 25 10:18:53 UTC 2007

Hi Gerard,

I must admist I didn't read through the entire PhD (certainly not because most of it is still in Arabic and it would take me a lot of time trying to read through it), but I skimmed through the English translation. However I know from my experience of 6 years in Jordan working with the Deaf that these al-Amal schools don't normally use sign language...so my remark is more than just speculation. Also, I'm not saying sign writing might not have been useful (I think it could be very useful and I tried myself to teach it to a few Deaf people in Jordan), but I am saying that I doubt these better results stem from the use of sign writing only. If sign writing was used, that means sign language was used, and that in itself may have caused better results in the students. In the school where I worked in Jordan bilingual education was introduced as a test and this caused significantly better results in the reading skills of students...without the use of sign writing.

Greetings,

Bernadet