Dissertation Posted, Statistical Studies, Saudi Arabia and Jordan

Valerie Sutton sutton at signwriting.org
Wed Sep 26 07:56:12 UTC 2007

Everyone, Bernadet, Gerard -
I just received a telephone call from Saudi Arabia, from Dr.
AbuShaira, who is now teaching at King Saud University, in Riyadh,
and he tells me that both schools, where both his SignWriting
experiments were held (Saudi Arabia in 2002 and Jordan in 2007) are
both schools that use Sign Language daily. All the students that took
part in his experiments were already signers...so none of them were
new to signing. The only thing that was new, was SignWriting, which
was taught to the experimental group, while the control group did not
learn SignWriting. The group that learned SignWriting, in both
schools, did better on their exams overall. So the better results do
point to SignWriting, according to Dr. AbuShaira...

I asked him if the school system in Jordan was oral, and he told me
that there are some schools that are, of course, but the classes he
chose to do his experiments in, were ones that use Sign Language
daily....

Val ;-)

Valerie Sutton
Sutton at SignWriting.org