use of sign language in Jordan

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 19:30:46 UTC 2007

Hoi,
You say "learning to write first in one's strongest language of course will
transfer to writing in another language". For people that sign as a first
language the first language to learn to write in is obviously in a script
that supports sign languages. SignWriting is the only kid on the block. The
notion that registering a sing language in another way does not make sense.
Because what is the point? Do you want to invent an alternative first in
order to know if it makes sense to use an existing script ?

To me this is equivalent to have kids learn to read and write IPA in stead
of for instance the Latin script because, it is "obvious" that IPA is easier
to learn based on how people pronounce their spoken language. Would you
suggest that when research proves that it is easier for kids to learn IPA
that we are going to change the way we teach written language ?

I am sure that when the Bard had written in IPA, it would be impossible to
read him in this day and age because the sound of English is likely to have
changed beyond recognition. When you suggest that alternatives to
SignWriting should be studied, you do not provide alternatives that are
actually used or usable as a script. I expect that in 700 years time people
will study how SignWriting has drifted away over time from its one to one
link between the signing and the writing.

SignWriting is used, and is able to register signed languages it seems to me
that this is what provides the basis for the observed improvement in
academic achievement in the study.

Thanks,
     Gerard