use of sign language in Jordan

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 09:32:35 UTC 2007

Hoi,
Thank you for putting up with me.. :)

I do agree that i would not necessarily trust Wikipedia to get expert
understanding right however, there is a project under way coordinated by the
"linguist network" that aims to ensure that the field of linguistics is
properly represented on particularly the English language Wikipedia. Given
that the Wikipedia definition of "alphabet" was the one different from all
the other definitions I could find, it was my reason for doing some
analysis.

Where you argue that experts have a different vocabulary, it helps when
their definitions are readily available and are unambiguously defined.
Without this they are like a secret cabal that do mysterious things that
nobody should try to understand and where the application is .. academic.

Iconicity seems to have an equivalent in tonality. Tonality is captured in
alphabetic systems just fine.

When an alphabet is defined as the characters needed to write a language
then SignWriting is both the script and the alphabet needed to write a
particular sign language in SignWriting. There is nothing wrong with
homonyms :)

Thanks,
    Gerard

LINGUIST Network <linguist at linguistlist.org>