SignWriting sorts by handshape, movement symbols, facial expressions...

Valerie Sutton sutton at signwriting.org
Thu Sep 27 15:59:04 UTC 2007

Yes...absolutely. The SignWriting "alphabetization" is called the
Sign-Symbol-Sequence (SSS). We sort dictionaries and vocabulary lists
by the Sign-Symbol-Sequence regularly, using SignBank and SignPuddle
software.

So we look up signs in dictionaries by Sign-Symbol-Sequence...and it
is not just sorted by handshapes...but also by movement symbols,
facial expressions and so forth...

Some examples of children's dictionaries sorted by SSS are on this
web page:

http://signbank.org/dictionaries/

Numbers 2 and 4 are both ASL-English, meaning that we are
categorizing the dictionary by Sign-Symbol-Sequence...

Val ;-)