use of sign language in Jordan

Barbara O'Dea odeab at unm.edu
Thu Sep 27 16:25:39 UTC 2007

Two caveats:
1. Apparently I'm very blunt in my writing style, so let me say up front
that I'm not judging anyone! I'm just responding with a few comments.
2. I recognize that the list may have already dealt with the issue of
defining literacy in the past but.......

Steve, your definition of literacy as "reading and writing" can indeed
be denied. You defined yourself as a "layman" and there is no doubt that
the view of most people in society (and many people in academic circles
as well) is that literacy is "reading and writing". In the field of
literacy research, "reading and writing" is certainly one very large
component, but still, just one component.

Differing definitions of literacy, in themselves, are not problematic;
however, when less informed definitions are used by those in "power",
problems can arise. Let's take the case of ASL being taught in a modern
languages department at universities for example. For many years the
narrow definition of literacy as "reading and writing" was used by by
academics to justify the exclusion of ASL acquisition courses -
afterall, if one cannot become "literate" in a language, cannot "read
and write" the language, that language cannot be worthy of academic
endeavour. And how about the English-speaking person with severe
dyslexia who cannot read or write English but creates a poem or a novel
for someone else to read and write? hmmmmm, is that person "literate"???

Okay, enough. odeeodee