Definitions of writing systems

Kathy H. kaylynnkathy at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 27 18:02:36 UTC 2007

> > abjad: A type of writing system that denotes only consonants> > ... but which can *connote* vowels :-)> > -Dan.

It's an interesting system.  Of course the vowels have to be "recovered" (there might be a better word to put there) somehow.  I don't have fluency in any language that uses an abjadic writing system, so I have no idea how the words are recognized if they might share consonants but differ in their vowels.

How are Arabic verb forms/tenses recognized without explicit vowels?  Anyone care to enlighten me?

In terms of writing systems, though, the point, of course, is that the vowels are not explicitly written.

Kathy