SV: [SLLING-L] use of sign language in Jordan

Sonja Erlenkamp sonja.erlenkamp at hist.no
Thu Sep 27 19:14:32 UTC 2007

@ what is literacy?
Not an easy question to answer. There are different parameters usually connotated with written versus spoken language (amongst many others did Wallace Chafe work on these issues in the 70/80ies).
These parameters are for example formalness, preparedness and completness of utterances. Nevertheless is there no clear cut distinction between the registers of written- spoken/signed utterances.
You can have very formal speeches in a specific - almost writtenlike - style and you can have very unformal e-mails and internet chats (for example). Terms like "language of distance/closeness" (well, this is actually my ad hoc translation of the German terms for this, probably not the correct english ones, sorry for that) have been used more recently by scientists to mark this difference.
Register-differences like the above mentioned can also be find in languages with pure oral traditions. To learn all these registers usually happens through the process of learning how to write, nevertheless can you learn them in others ways too.
That leaves me with the question what the actual contribution of the "act of writing" gives to the improvement of the brain's activity to use language. Is there any research done on this? Without any doubt is the ability of writing beneficial, but I doubt that the brain becomes much better in language skills as such.

All the best

Sonja Erlenkamp