Definitions of terms (RE: [SLLING-L] use of sign language in Jordan)

Valerie Sutton sutton at signwriting.org
Fri Sep 28 00:34:50 UTC 2007

Hello Everyone -
Thank you, Kathy, for the definitions below, and to everyone, for a
very interesting day. I really enjoyed reading all your messages ;-)

Technically, at first glance anyway, SignWriting doesn't fit any of
the definitions below...

SignWriting has several forms...there is a handwritten form, and a
shorthand form, and a printed formal writing you see in published
books...so there are many sides to SignWriting and some of the uses
are more phonetic than others...some are quite abbreviated and could
hardly be called phonetic...

So maybe SignWriting, which is a large writing system for multiple
signed languages, cannot be categorized with any of those
definitions...it is unique.

No matter what, all of the SignWriting symbols, whether they are
shorthand, or handwriting or the printed form, can be sorted by SSS
and they all write body movement, rather than what is being said.
SignWriting does not write concepts. It writes the way the body looks
while signing, and the meanings attached to the writing depend on the
reader, and if they know that signed language or not...

SignWriting is used differently around the world...and from group to
group as well...

A SignWriting document is more phonetic or phonemic, depending on a
series of factors: the culture, the signed language being written,
the intent of the document, and the author or scribe. For example, in
Germany, Stefan Woehrmann, who teaches SignWriting to his Deaf
students at the Osnabruck School for the Deaf, writes with many Mouth
Movement symbols, because he is writing the Mouthing that is a part
of the German culture, at least at his school...

So when you look at the German Literature Puddle online, you will see
a large amount of Facial Expression symbols and Mouth Movement
Symbols, because that is Stefan's style of writing with
SignWriting...It is very detailed writing:

German Sign Language Literature Puddle
http://www.signbank.org/SignPuddle1.5/index.php?ui=8&sgn=26
(to see Stefan's documents, click on Search by Words, and type an
asterisk in the search field)

But in the US, writers in ASL may not choose to write all those
mouthing-related movements... because culturally it is different.
Emphasis is often placed elsewhere in the writing of ASL signs. So if
you visited the ASL Literature Puddle you will see the SignWriting
looks different than the German literature...

American Sign Language Literature Puddle
http://www.signbank.org/SignPuddle1.5/index.php?ui=1&sgn=5
(take a look at Cat in the Hat by Cherie Wren)

And recently I am learning a lot about sorting by SSS...we are able
to speed the process now because of better software, and I have
started to notice patterns in writing ASL signs I had never seen
before...When we look up 2000 signs by SSS, we skim down the pages of
the dictionary to find the sign we want, searching by handshape, palm
orientation, contact and so forth...and I have noticed that there are
little groupings of symbols that appear over and over again...for
example...all the signs that have the pattern "touch-move-down-touch"
are automatically lumped together in the sequencing, and there are so
many signs that have that configuration...We can search for "symbol-
frequency" now in our software and it is quite surprising to see that
there are consistent patterns of certain symbols grouped together...

I wonder if those are not something equivalent to consonants and
vowels?...I am not a linguist, so I would love to discuss this with
someone privately or publicly, if anyone is interested in some of the
patterns I have found...you probably already know about these
patterns very well...I have just bumped into them through the sorting
dictionaries by SSS process...

I personally feel SignWriting is alphabetic, but that does not mean
that I am disagreeing with any of you...whatever is best to call it
is fine with me....Terminology changes and evolves, just like writing
systems!

Val ;-)