Importance of SL phonemes

Kathy H. kaylynnkathy at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 28 16:09:28 UTC 2007

It seems that we can test linguistic theory in two basic ways:  in series and in parallel.  The "series" version is pretty much how it has been:  for 10 or 20 years, a particular theory or model or viewpoint is standard, then there is a shift that lasts another 10 or 20 years, then another shift for a while, then another.

The "parallel" approach would be to test two or more theories at the same time.  One group of researchers would work within one model or theory or viewpoint or paradigm while another group would work with a different one.  Maybe a third or fourth group would work with yet another model or theory or viewpoint or paradigm.  After 10 or 20 years, their results could be compared.  The strengths and weaknesses of each could be considered, and revisions could be made to each theory/model/viewpoint/paradigm.

These, of course, are the extreme approaches.  Overlap between them is, of course, possible and probable, as the mainstream follows, perhaps, the series approach while a few researchers follow a different approach, working, then, in parallel.

Concerning the statements made below, I'm not sure what squares and circles have to do with anything here.  Of course we want to test what we can, even pushing things to their limits to see where they break down, and when they break down, to find out why.  We learn things this way.  (I do, anyway.)  And if we, perhaps, find that something does NOT break down, then it WORKS!  But we won't know this unless we test it.

The only way to find out if the concept of the phoneme is applicable to signed languages (since the term is already being used in conjunction with them) is to test it, to push it, to make it fit.  If it doesn't fit, then we have learned something.  If it does fit, then we have learned something.

Kathy

When you want to square a circle, you do not necessarily get to the truth. The vocal chords are necessarily serial in nature and movements are not. When the "powers that be" need to be placated in their preconceptions in order to have them accept signed languages as true languages, I have doubts about the quality of the resulting science.