Command or imperative

Odd-Inge Schroder o.i.schroder at isp.uio.no
Wed Apr 23 14:56:52 UTC 2008

Dear Beppie and Ulrike,

Thank you very much for your answers to my question on imperative. You
have made my day somewhat more brighter. ;-)  I`ll read more on the books,
papers and thesis you mentioned.

Still, I am surprised that a wellresearched sign language as ASL has no
papers on command - hello ASL-linguists out there: Is it true that since
1980 there is no research on imperative?

Best regards,

Odd-Inge

> Hello Odd-Inge,
>
> there is a dedicated section by Ronice Mueller de Quadros on the use of
questions as commands in Brasilian Sign Language in the volume
> "Interrogative and negative constructions in sign languages", and as far
as I remember, some other authors in this volume have also commented on
the use of questions as commands, though more briefly.
> In "Indo-Pakistani Sign Language Grammar: A Typological Outline"
(article in Sign Language Studies), I mention imperatives in
> Indo-Pakistani Sign Language, of which there are 3 in the positive and
one in the negative:

> - positive imperative with bare predicate sign, nonmanuals and eye contact
>
> - particle for neutral positive imperative, distant force
> - particle for nonpolite positive imperative, immediate force
> - particle for negative imperative
>
> I don't know any study exclusively dedicated to imperatives in any sign
language, so I guess all you can find is such bits and pieces here and
there... You may also find lessons in teaching materials on commands...

> Ulrike
>

> Prof. Ulrike Zeshan
> Director, International Centre for Sign Languages and Deaf Studies
Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
> Livesey House, LH212
> University of Central Lancashire
> Preston PR12HE, UK
> uzeshan at uclan.ac.uk
> Ph. +44-1772-893104

Dear Odd-Inge,

In my research on the Input and Interaction in deaf families (2000) I
found that the
deaf mothers also used imperatives with their children. Although I haven't
looked at
the exact form (more at the functions) I do have the films and transcripts
of these
utterances. It would mean some work to get it all sorted out, but you are
more than
welcome to have a look at it.
My thesis is available on wwwlot.let.uu.nl -> choose publications and
search by year.
Perhaps you can use it ?
Best
Beppie

Beppie van den Bogaerde / Lector Dovenstudies / Faculteit Educatie /
Coördinator
Master Dovenstudies/Leraar NGT / Instituut Gebaren, Taal & Dovenstudies /
Padualaan
97 3584 CH Utrecht / Postbus 14007 / 3508 SB Utrecht /
beppie.vandenbogaerde at hu.nl /
tel: +31 (0) 6 508 24 110

> Hello,
>
> The authors Baker and Cokely in their American Sign Language I-V
(1980:V:139)  mentioned imperative or command in the following
> sentences:
>
> ”In general, commands are sentences that order the Addressee to do
something. Although there has been little study of commands in ASL, we

> do know that they are usually indicated by stress (emphasis) on the verb
> and usually direct eye gaze on the Addressee. This stress usually
involves making the sign faster and sharper. As explained in the section