Kinship terminology in SLs

Constanze Schmaling constanze.schmaling at t-online.de
Wed Dec 3 09:12:35 UTC 2008

Hello Mara,

Hausa Sign Language (Nigeria) uses gender marker signs to
differentiate the signs "sister" and "brother" and
"grandfather/-mother" These gender markers are the signs with the
meanings "father/man"/"male" and "mother/woman"/"female", i.e.
"mother" and "father" themselves need no gender markers.

The gender markers appear after the sign they specify.

They may also be used with non-kinship signs such as "old man/woman",
"boy/girl", "groom/bride".

Kind regards,
Constanze Schmaling

Dr. Constanze Schmaling