Kinship terminology in SLs

Ulrike Zeshan uzeshan at uclan.ac.uk
Wed Dec 3 09:37:07 UTC 2008

P.S. What variety of sign language in Nepal are you looking at? I have only seen one set of video recordings from Nepal made in Kathmandu (watched it together with one of my Indian deaf colleagues), and there were actually 3 different varieties on that one tape: some signers (probably from the border area with India) were using the same sign language that is used across India and Pakistan, others, including one from Kathmandu, used a different variety that we could not fully understand but still had similarities with Indian sign varieties, and there was one female signer (not sure from where) whose variety was entirely unintelligible to us and clearly a completely different language. So we are not sure if there actually is one "Nepali Sign Language". Do you have any information along these lines?

Ulrike

Prof. Ulrike Zeshan
Director, International Centre for Sign Languages and Deaf Studies
Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
Livesey House, LH212
University of Central Lancashire
Preston PR12HE, UK
uzeshan at uclan.ac.uk