Wikipedia's list of sign languages: who?

Albert Bickford albert_bickford at sil.org
Wed Dec 17 17:01:53 UTC 2008

Another nameI have read is "Inuk Sign Language", which appears in Jamie MacDougall's paper available at http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/pi/rs/rep-rap/2000/rr00_17/index.html.  In another paper with a very similar title he has used the name "Inuit Sign Language", see http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3711/is_/ai_n8941972.  So, I suspect they all refer to the same language, but I haven't read the articles in detail to determine that. Further, even if MacDougall uses them interchangeably, someone else might be using the terms to refer to two different sign languages, or there may be more variation from place to place than has been documented yet.

Incidentally, "Inuk" and "Inuit" are autonyms used in the spoken languages of the area (sometimes called "Eskimo" languages but this term is offensive to some people), and are cognate terms.  "Inuktitut" is from the same language as "Inuk" and is a derived term, but I don't know exactly what either means (e.g. maybe noun vs. adjective, or people vs. language).

It would be good to settle once and for all how many indigenous sign languages there are among the Inuit/Inuk/etc.  At one point, the Ethnologue actually had an entry for "Eskimo Sign Language" but took it out in the mid-1990s because we couldn't at that time verify the existence of the language.  Now the evidence has appeared for one or possibly more indigenous sign languages in the American Arctic.  Once the situation becomes clear, I would suggest that someone prepare a proposal for the ISO 639-3 standard to establish one or more three-letter identifying codes, which can then be used to help avoid this sort of confusion.  I'd be happy to help if you're interested, Joke.

Albert Bickford
SIL International