Construction and Exploitation of Sign Language Corpora DEADLINE EXTENDED TO FEB 5TH

Thomas Hanke Thomas.Hanke at sign-lang.uni-hamburg.de
Fri Feb 1 21:35:04 UTC 2008

Dear SLLING-L subscribers,

meeting various requests to allow submissions being a couple of days
late, we have now officially extended the deadline to Feb 5th.

Best regards,

the workshop organising committee (Onno Crasborn, Eleni Efthimiou,
Thomas Hanke, Ernst Thoutenhoofd, Inge Zwitserlood)

--------------------------------------

Call for papers

Construction and Exploitation of Sign Language Corpora
(Third Workshop on the Representation and Processing of Sign Languages)
6th Language Resources and Evaluation Conference (LREC)
Marrakech, Morocco, June 1st, 2008

Abstracts are invited for a one-day workshop on sign language corpora
to take place following the 2008 LREC conference on June 1st, 2008.
Recent technological developments allow sign language researchers to
create relatively large video corpora of sign language use that were
unimaginable ten years ago. Several national projects are currently
underway, and more are planned. This workshop aims to share
experiences from current and past efforts: what are the technical
problems that were encountered and the solutions created, what are
the linguistic decisions taken?

At the same time, the workshop shall also look into the future: How
can we establish standards for linguistic tagging and metadata, avoid
reinventing the wheel, but instead add sign language specifics to
well-established or emerging best practices from the general LR
community? How can we work towards (semi-) automatic annotation by
computer recognition from video?

We invite abstracts for 20-minutes papers or posters (with or without
demonstrations) on the following topics:

* Experiences in building sign language corpora
* Proposals for standards for linguistic annotation or for metadata
descriptions
* Experiences from linguistic research using corpora
* Use of corpora in teaching and eLearning contexts
* Use of (parallel) corpora in interpreting and translation studies
* Language documentation and long-term accessibility for sign
language data
* Video compression and streaming for sign language
* Tool development
* Lexicon construction
* Linking corpora and lexicons
* Computer recognition of sign language
* Steps towards automatic annotation of sign language
Short papers of both paper presentations and posters (4-6 pages) of
this workshop will be published as workshop proceedings that are
included in the conference package.

Please send your abstract (max. 500 words) by email to lrec2008 (at)
sign-lang.uni-hamburg.de not later than Feb 5th, 2008. In your mail,
please indicate your preference for the presentation format: oral/
signed paper, poster, or poster & demo.

Workshop web site with more details and links to the main conference:
http://www.sign-lang.uni-hamburg.de/lrec2008/