interpreters as typists - question

Beppie van den Bogaerde t228964 at tiscali.nl
Tue Feb 19 14:21:49 UTC 2008

Dear Ingvild

In our interpreting program in Utrecht , the Netherlands, we have a four
year bachelor program for your point 1-4. We also offer a 2 year, parttime,
master program in Deaf Studies and (first deree) teacher of SL.

But for speech-to-text interpreting, we have a different route; we offer a
two year Associate degree, in which the students learn (basic) NGT (Dutch
sign language) and Sign supported Dutch, but on the whole they spend two
years on learning to type at speech rate on a Veyboard. If they want to,
they can continue to become an NGT interpreter in two additional years, so
also, in all, a 4-year study. Most students take the regular route, however.
We have started this AD in 2007, so no alumni yet..
Regular NGT interpreters don't do speech-to-text interpreter, we have
special interpreters for this.

If you want more specific information on the content of the program, contact
me and I will pass you  message on to my colleagues who  coordinate this
course.

Hope this helps

Best regards

Beppie v.d. Bogaerde