Deaf education - history

Sue Cutler scutler at kvcc.edu
Mon Feb 25 19:25:11 UTC 2008

The area of non-European Deaf education history is one of great interest
to me.  I've traveled in Guatemala, read some about the Nicaraguan sign
language, but have difficulty finding information on what's happened in
"the New World" and in Africa... especially in the schools for the deaf
that were founded by Foster.  Any pointing in helpful directions would
be welcome here too.

Thanks....

>>> "mariangela estelita" <mariangelaestelita at yahoo.com.br> 02/25/08
8:05 AM >>>

I'd be very grateful to know how different people tell the History of
Deaf Education. This theme is part of a subject I'm teaching and I would
like deepen this knowlegde.
In Brazil, we often tell the history of deaf education starting from old
European experiences (Ponce de Leon, L'Epée, Heinicke...), go to
Gallaudet's experience in the USA and his influeces in Brazil.
Meanwhile, we discuss periods in which different methodolies prevailed.
I was wondering if in other coutries, specially on the other side of the
planet and in Africa, people have a different history, with other
heroes.
Literature on the subject would be very welcome. But also simply
comments on what you know would certainly help me.

Thanks! ;)

      Abra sua conta no Yahoo! Mail, o único sem limite de espaço para
armazenamento!
http://br.mail.yahoo.com/