deaf/Deaf-distinction: origin?

Denise dwetzler at cox.net
Sun Jan 6 00:36:32 UTC 2008

My understanding is that small d deaf denotes the physical inability to
hear, and big D deaf is used by those that choose to Sign Language as their
primary mode of communication, and adopt the values of the general Deaf
community. Unfortunately, I don't know empirically where I can back this up,
I learned it from the Deaf community that taught me ASL 27 years ago. I
wonder if there are any Deaf/deaf individuals on this list. I can also
cross-post to another list where I know there are culturally Deaf members,
with this group's permission, of course.

Denise Wetzler, M. Ed.
ASL Interpreter
Nationally Certified,
Arizona Licensed