MIM: deaf/Deaf-distinction: origin?

Tom Humphries thumphries at ucsd.edu
Mon Jan 7 21:00:48 UTC 2008

Sorry, Des, Carol and I didn't politicize anything.  We didnt' even start
it, the distinction was made before us, we merely copied it.   Others may
have politicized it but we certainly haven't.  It may be hard to find the
first reference to it because there were a lot of not well circulated papers
back then (proceedings, unpublished papers, presentation papers, etc.)  This
was in the days when getting papers on the subject of deaf culture published
was not so easy (trust me).

Tom Humphries
Associate Director &
Associate Professor