modifiability of indicating verbs

Adam C Schembri a.schembri at ucl.ac.uk
Sun Jan 13 11:14:23 UTC 2008

While acknowledging that there's plenty of room for debate about how
"parts of speech" apply to signed languages, I think there are
grammatical aspects of "locatable" signs such as ASL WANT or BSL/
Auslan BUY that support their analysis as verbs in sentential
contexts. For example, these signs can take arguments and thus enter
into syntactic relationships with other signs in the same way as verbs
in spoken languages.

Adam

--
Adam C Schembri, PhD
Project Director, British Sign Language Corpus Project