new town for deaf people planned in US

Mark A. Mandel mamandel at ldc.upenn.edu
Thu Jul 3 22:02:55 UTC 2008

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2005/mar/22/usa/print

Town for deaf to be designed round world of silence

     * The Guardian,
     * Tuesday March 22, 2005

Architects and town planners yesterday began drawing up blueprints for the first
town built entirely for deaf people in the US.

Almost 100 families, from London to Australia, have reserved space in the South
Dakota village, where all business will be conducted in sign language.

Future residents hope to become fully integrated in the day-to-day life, with
every element designed specifically for deaf or hard of hearing people.

Buildings will incorporate glass for increased visibility, emergency services
will rely on lights as opposed to sirens, while shops, restaurants, petrol
stations, hotels and schools will be required to use sign language.

Marvin Miller, 33, who conceived the plan, hopes the building work will begin
later this year. "Society isn't doing that great a job of 'integrating' us," Mr
Miller, who is deaf, told the New York Times.

"My children don't see role models in their lives - mayors, factory managers,
postal workers, business owners. So we're setting up a place to show our unique
culture, our unique society."

The creators insist that the town, which will have a population of 2,500, will
not be the sole reserve of deaf people. The only commitment asked by those
intending to move there is that they live in an environment based on sight and
American sign language. Opponents fear that the town will only serve to further
isolate deaf people.

The town will be called Laurent after Laurent Clerc, a French educator of deaf
people from the 1800s. The 92 families who have already reserved spaces will be
expected to put down deposits for property within the next few months.